Cranes for the depot



I've installed my two shed cranes in the goods depot. As previously mentioned, the cranes are based on the ones at Paddington Goods, although similar types seem to have been used in other large goods depots in the 1900s. They were scratchbuilt using plastikard and various other bits and pieces.

Posted Image

Looking at prototype photos I noticed that when a shed had multiple cranes, they tended to be grouped together in strategic positions. This makes particular sense with these cranes, whose purpose was to move goods from the vans/wagons to the cartage bays.



Posted Image

I therefore placed the cranes so that they were able to swivel between the goods stock and the cartage bays, thereby allowing goods to be transferred directly, as per the arrangement at Paddington.



Posted Image

One of the cranes was placed so that it could also reach the balcony of the mezzanine floor. This is inspired by the arrangement at Hockley. The safety chains for the balcony have been temporarily removed as I wasn't happy with them.


Posted Image

The cranes were operated by a lever which connected to a mechanism beneath the deck...


Posted Image

...and the lever was protected by a small cage. The latter hasn't turned out very well and I think I will have to redo them with more care.

Posted Image

We discussed the livery of GWR cranes in an RMweb thread here. In my case I opted for the wonderfully ambigious "Medium Grey". Photos of the prototypes of these particular cranes alongside wagons suggest that their colour was not far from GWR wagon grey.


Posted Image

Finally, a photo with the roof on. I do like the look of these cranes, it's a very neat design I think.

The final photo also illustrates a couple of challenges that I have to address as the next step: The weathering of the walls is a work in progress, and is tricky because it shows up too strong in photos, while it looks fine in reality. I am also repainting parts of the roof structure, as I wasn't entirely happy with the shades I had used. It never ends, does it? :-) 

PS: In response to Bob's comment (see below) this picture shows some selected measurements of the cranes in cms. Please do note that (i) the measurements are approximated from photos and (ii) the height was adapted to suit my goods depot.