The honourable slipper boy - Part 2

This is the second part of a story based on a real incident on the Great Western at the turn of the century. It draws on the transcripts of a court case at Old Bailey. The story is narrated by Dennis Watts, a slipper boy in the employment of the GWR. Part one is here.

As I stood there, surrounded by thieves in a dark corner of the goods yard, I thought my last hour had come. Luckily the moon came out, which seemed to unsettle them, and so they let me go.




The next morning I went to find Walmsley. He is with the GWR police. His job is to prevent theft in the goods depot.




I told him what had happened. Walmsley has more muscle than brains, so he sent for help.




So then Detective Benton arrived. He is with the GWR Detective Department at Paddington. That’s him on the left. Walmsley showed him the scene of the crime, and they found the remains of the stolen box. The silks it had contained were gone.




The Detective was very meticulous. He kept searching, until he found what he was looking for: It was a torn piece of paper wrapping from the box.




Then the detective demanded to see the suspects. I watched as they confronted Woods and Lawson, two of the thieves I had seen the night before.




As the law enforcers came upon the villains, they found them carrying a sack. The detective demanded to see what was in it.




The sack contained thirty-five yards of silk, sixty-six yards of grenadine and a piece of paper wrapping.




The thieves were stubborn. They claimed innocence. They had not stolen the goods, they said. They found it lying on the ground. Someone must have dropped it, they said.




But Detective Benton was shrewd. He produced the fragment of paper he had found by the stolen box, and placed it next to the wrapping from the sack. We all gathered around to see...




The two pieces of wrapping were a perfect fit. It was damning evidence.


Well dear reader, you may think that was that. But there is more to the world than meets the eye! Watch this space for the third and final episode, where all will be revealed.

See Part 3 here.


Comments

  1. I've been waiting impatiently for this episode, and I am not disappointed! You have transformed your already brilliant modelling into something magical with these meticulously created "dramatic" pieces. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Iain, I'm really glad you think so! It's an interesting exercise to try and replicate a "real" event - although it's simplified here. The real case is actually a bit more dramatic in some respects, but there are limits to what can be done with a handful of 4mm figures!

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to the next episode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I only wish the images could be made bigger here on blogger. They are actually quite large, but the blog format I have chosen only allows a certain size.

      Delete
    2. Wonderful work, divine modelling and lovely story telling dimension. I like to make up the backstory to my layout and think up stories around them but never thought creating picture story around them, inspired idea!!

      Re image sizes, have you tried adding a lightbox to the blog? It allows pictures to be expanded to show more detail. It's been a while since I did anything in Blogger but this might help - http://www.deluxeblogtips.com/2010/04/how-to-add-lightbox-effect-to-blogger.html (No relation to this blog, just a guide I found to adding the lightbox feature)

      Andy

      Delete
    3. Thanks very much Andy. It's good fun to do these stories - although it can also be a bit time consuming. I've done my bit of swearing when the same figure fell over for the umpteenth time! A bit of blutack helps though.

      Thanks for the advise on the lightbox. There is actually a lightbox on the blog which allows larger images to be seen - but it's a bit clunky and doesn't allow the full size images to be shown. I'm tempted to expand the width of the format, but that would bring it outsde the edges of some people's screens. I think I'll just have to live with it for a while. The pictures are also on Flickr btw.

      Delete

Post a Comment