Agricultural merchant's warehouse

Here's a summary of my latest build, an agricultural merchant’s warehouse, inspired by this prototype.




As  has become my habit I've modelled all doors open to allow for…




...see-through opportunities.




That approach does mean that the interior walls and framing have to be indicated - don’t look too closely though!




I used Will’s corrugated iron sheets for the main walls. They are rather thick so I fitted sliding doors on the outside to conceal the thickness. The windows seen here were my first attempt…




…but I ended up using this technique instead, after good advice (thanks Richard!). The glazing material was scored and painted black, and when touch-dry the excess paint was wiped off.




This gave a much finer result as appropriate for this type of building, seen here on the right with the original effort on the left.




The timber staging was built from stripwood, while the main deck is from model shipbuilders' decking. Oddly it seems that the latter is not easily available in the UK, though we have it here in Denmark.




For the lettering I used a plain alphabet sheet from Fox. The Cheeryble Brothers appear as merchants in Nicholas Nickleby.




I browsed the web for agricultural adverts and worked on them in Paintshop Pro to change perspective etc. For the time being they have just been printed on paper and varnished, but our printer isn’t quite up to it so I’m having them printed on proper photo paper instead. Thanks for the help and tips with this from "Southernboy", Ian, Rob and others. I’ve put the adverts in a Flickr album here in case anyone has use for them (not to scale).




The roof is Slater's corrugated iron sheets, cut into individual sections and stuck onto a base sheet. Rather than overlaying the sheets, I pushed each sheet slightly up and above the edge of the adjoining one, thereby hoping to indicate an overlap but avoiding the thickness.




I slimmed the edges of the sheets with a scalpel. The slight size variation of the sheets is deliberate.




The trimmed Slater’s sheet next to the Will’s sheet. BTW I got several other good suggestions for corrugated roof options, including H0 aluminium sheets on ebay (thanks Pete) and some intereresting looking Redutex types. May try these later.




So, a rather long story for a seemingly simple structure. I learnt a lot from this build though, and many thanks to all who provided input!